Sunday, May 10, 2009

Day 8: Sacramento, CA

Today I learned that the best way to make it through a hangover is to take a three hour bike ride across the bay bridge up into the winding hills above Berkeley.  I also learned how to split lanes.  I'm still not sure that I'm quite comfortable with it, but when the alternative is roasting in the exhaust of some suit dummy talking on a cell phone parked in the middle of a freeway traffic jam, it's worth the risk.  At first it was terrifying, then convenient, then, in a very unsettling way, a lot of fun.  Riding through the streets of San Fran and Berkeley I got the sense that my friend Jarad has declared a moto-jihad, and has begun a full scale suicide mission to terrorize the citizens of the Bay Area armed only with a Ducati Monster 900.  It was pretty impressive to watch, when I could keep up, but I don't think I'll be adopting his riding style anytime soon.

When I packed up and headed for Sacramento my new lanesplitting tricks got me neatly through three more unbelievable traffic jams.  By this time the sun was hot and I was tired, sunburned, still hungover, and running late, so it wasn't exactly my most pleasant ride.  Still, it was more fun than being in a car.

Sacramento is hotter than I remember this time of year.  The city looks nicer now than it was when I left it.  The trees and lawns are greener, the sidewalks have been repaired, and the streets are cleaner.  Most of my favorite restaurants and hangouts are still here, but I've been back in Seattle now more than four years, and alot has changed.

6 comments:

  1. For your next trick you should go pin-balling. It's when you try to split lanes but, in a panic from trying to keep your Budweiser in its handlebar-mounted drink cosy, you tag the car to your left, which, in turn, sends you into the car to your right.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you say lane splitting or lane splatting? I understand why one would want to lane split, but it's a practice that seems mighty risky, caggers are an unpredictable lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO glad that I did not have to see you lane splitting, which idea has always seemed extremely suicidal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, now that you mention it, Jarad and I did enjoy a cold, tasty Sparks while I was in San Fran.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wrising Dwagon! I know a guy in Sacto that makes the best pasta! You should stop by and see if he has found your wallet yet, or your shirt.

    ReplyDelete