Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Day 4: Grants Pass, OR

Yesterday morning I had brunch with Dave at the Spar Cafe in downtown Olympia, and I had my first ever beer milkshake.  They mix Terminator Stout, chocolate syrup, and vanilla ice cream.  It was actually really delicious.  It was like a chocolate shake made from bittersweet chocolate instead of chocolate syrup.  It pretty much rained the entire time I was in Olympia, but after I got about 20 miles south it wasn't so bad.

Last night I stayed in Salem, OR and got to visit the Japanese language night class that my friend Stephen teaches at the local community college.  Stephen and I were in our first year Japanese language class ten years ago, so it was interesting to see him teaching it now.  I think he's a much better teacher than ours was, because his students seem to be much further advanced.  This morning we went to the beautiful and majestic Oregon State Capitol Building.  It was more fun and less informative than I expected.  We got to climb up 150 feet of spiral stairs to the top of the rotunda to see the giant gold leafed bronze statue at the top.

This afternoon I had my first real adventure.  I was heading south on I-5 and saw an exit sign for the Old Pacific Highway that indicated it would rejoin I-5 a few miles down the road.  After riding the OPH a couple weekends ago with my cousin, I figured it would be a good way to make the last 60 miles a bit more intersting.  It was a nice twisty road through some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen.  As much as I dislike this state, it really is beautiful.  I ended up missing the turn to Glendale and ended up on an old, one lane logging road.  I followed it for quite a few miles, first wondering if I was supposed to turn right at the bridge, then thinking that it had to go somewhere.  Eventually it became a gravel logging road, and my curiosity outweighed my better judgement, so I continued following it for a few miles.  Well, it really didn't go anywhere, so I turned around and went back to the bridge I was supposed to turn onto to begin with.  If you ever have a chance to ride on any section of the Old Pacific Highway, do it.  It's amazing.  My little detour cost me an extra hour of travel time, but it was worth every second.

6 comments:

  1. Now that's an adventure! Hope you packed your tire repair kit. The Blue Bomber is not a dual sport bike. But good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeek! When I read that line, "my first real adventure" I was certain you almost got yourself killed. Whew! I'm glad it was a lovely detour instead. When next I am out and about on a street-legal bike, I'll see if I can find that road. What's to dislike about OR???

    Bro Bear, he does not own a tire repair kit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a native Oregonian I have a few words that would seem appropriate...but your mom will read this so I'll just leave it there. So, do you like California and not Oregon? Your answer will tell us a lot about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Tire Repair Kit? I shudder to think what else he doesn't have. How about a motorcycle roadside assistance card? Probably not.

    Why... I remember the time I was motorcycling my way across Canada. Blind River was the place... never mind, this is Justin's trip. Ride well, experience much and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's what I dislike about Oregon:

    The weather sucks.
    The people tend to be unfriendly to outsiders.
    The speed limit on I-5 is 55 when it should be 70.
    The people drive incredibly poorly (i.e. won't get out of the left lane; tailgate you then refuse to pass when you move over to let them by; change lanes without looking or signaling)

    Of course I could make all of the same complaints about Washington, which is why I have to leave it every once in a while.

    And yes, Mr. Shultis, I do like California more than Oregon, but it comes with a whole different list of complaints.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Justin, Justin...
    You love Oregonians. Glad you got to check out Old Pacific Highway - you should have paid my parents a little visit (Glendale is only about 30 minutes from them!).
    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete