Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Blue Bomber

The Blue Bomber is the first motorcycle of my very own, purchased last June.  When I was younger I always imagined myself on a classic Indian Chief.  I loved riding my brother's old honda shadow 550, but after a year of riding it I found myself wanting to lean forward and open the throttle...all the time.  So when I ended up with a thousand dollars in my pocket after my summer vacation plans got cut short I decided that it was time to make a down payment on a crotch rocket.  It had to be fast, but not too fast.  And it had to be naked.

Model: Triumph Speed Four
Year: 2006
Category: Naked bike

Engine and transmission

Displacement: 599.00 ccm (36.55 cubic inches)
Engine type: In-line four
Stroke: 4
Power: 98.00 HP (71.5 kW)) @ 11750 RPM
Torque: 68.00 Nm (6.9 kgf-m or 50.2 ft.lbs) @ 10500 RPM
Compression: 12.5:1
Bore x stroke: 68.0 x 41.3 mm (2.7 x 1.6 inches)
Fuel system: Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection with forced air induction
Fuel control: DOHC
Ignition: Digital inductive type via electronic engine management system
Cooling system: Liquid
Gearbox: 6-speed

Transmission type

Final drive: Chain
Clutch: Wet multi-plate

Physical measures

Dry weight: 170.0 kg (374.8 pounds)
Seat height: 810 mm (31.9 inches)
Overall height: 1,110 mm (43.7 inches)
Overall length: 2,165 mm (85.2 inches)
Overall width: 690 mm (27.2 inches)
Wheelbase: 1,395 mm (54.9 inches)

Chassis and dimensions

Frame type: Aluminium beam perimeter
Rake (fork angle): 24.6°
Front suspension: 43 mm forks with dual rate springs and adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping
Rear suspension: Monoshock with adjustable preload, rebound and compression damping
Front tire dimensions: 120/70-ZR17 
Rear tire dimensions: 180/55-ZR17 
Front brakes: Double disc
Front brakes diameter: 310 mm (12.2 inches)
Rear brakes: Single disc
Rear brakes diameter: 220 mm (8.7 inches)

Speed and acceleration

Power/weight ratio: 0.5765 HP/kg
1/4-mile: 11.48 sec. @ 116.9 mph
0-60 mph: 3.60 sec.
0-100 mph: 8.36 sec.
Top-gear roll-on, 50-70 mph: 4.64 sec.
Fuel mileage (city/highway): 33mpg/45mpg

Current Modifications

None

3 comments:

  1. "Current modifications: none"? I don't think that's quite true. Just from the pic I can see you don't have the funky "eyebrow" thing over the headlights. And I know you have saddlebags and probably some ad-hoc storage stuff as well.

    Good luck and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose you're right. I guess I didn't consider removing the mini-cowl as a modification, but rather shedding useless junk. I didn't count the saddle bags and other luggage because they're not "permanent". But for those that are interested, I do have a set of Cortech soft sport bags that I stole from my big brother, a Fastrax magnetic tank bag, and an NTG waterproof canvas duffel attached to the tail with bungees. I also have an Ogio No-Drag backpack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mind is a vagabond, so I wander. - Descartes
    Sometimes it is not a dream but some very impressive and unforgettable real event that, like a prophecy, anticipates the future in symbolic form. - Carl Jung

    ReplyDelete