Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 16: San Diego, CA


Yesterday was a big day for me.  Last summer my brother signed me up for Brickmasters, the official Lego magazine, and it came with a free pass to Lego Land, which happens to be in Carlsbad, about 30 minutes north of San Diego.  So yesterday I coerced my good friend Samantha to go with me.  I had been looking forward to this for a long time but didn't really know what to expect.  It was one of the strangest places I've ever seen.  The front entrance has loudspeakers blaring incredibly dramatic music thatsounded like something from a cheap TV version of Jurassic Park.  There were thousands of little children running around, which is something I generally try to avoid, but we were mostly able to ignore them.  I thought it would be more focused on actual legos, and less on children's entertainment.  My favorite part of the park by far was the Miniland, where they've built miniature replicas of cities like New York, DC, Las Vegas, and San Francisco.  It was really impressive.  A couple of the roller coasters were pretty fun, but Sam hated them.  Pretty much every ride in the park exits directly into a Lego store.  They had a little section that was kind of like a Lego museum, with some old sets, and examples of some of the factory equipment and production line.  We played mini golf, and that was pretty interesting.  Samantha came in 7 under par, and I finished significantly over par.  Now I owe her a bloody mary.  I was disappointed by the ratio of non-Lego versus Lego structures, but there was still a lot of really cool stuff there.  Not sure I'd pay the admission twice.

Today the Blue Bomber and I are headed up to Orange County to get her some new tires and maybe some brakes and hopefully replace the missing front fender bolt.  I was considering waiting until I got to my uncle's house in Tucson so I could borrow his tools and do the work myself, but I'm not thrilled about the prospect of traveling through 300 miles of desert on questionable tires and brakes.

7 comments:

  1. I found you! Your blog is pretty rad. I'm sorry Legoland was kinda lame, but that's kinda what you get for putting Legos up on a pedestal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Legoland doesn't sound like I'd envisioned it either...I pictured many, many lego buildings and lego cars and lego everything.

    The most important question here is: How many Lego sets did you buy in all those stores into which the rides debouched and where on earth will you strap the darn things?

    Sorry about your mechanical stuff, but I think you made the right decision to replace/fix now. No Triumph dealers in San Diego? Wierd.

    You should obviously spend more time playing mini-golf, so you don't embarrass yourself again.

    Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New tires and brakes? I'm glad that you are getting that taken care of, but how many miles have you traveled? Tires usually last 10k miles and of course you would have replaced nearly worn out tires before you left on your Grand Tour, so you must have gotten lost a lot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sheer number of screaming children in each of the stores pretty much negated any desire I had to wander around shopping for legos, so I didn't end up buying anything at all.

    So far I've traveled about 2,125 miles, which puts about 6,000 miles on the rear tire that I replaced last summer, and at least 8,000 miles on the front tire that was on the bike when I bought it. It was one of the things that I meant to do before I left and didn't get around to it. But I guess it works out okay since I got an extra 2k out of everything and haven't suffered injury or death as a result of my procrastination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mileage isn't always a good indicator of tire life. I put 6000 miles on some, others don't last 600. Depends on the riding you're doing at the time. Tires are cheap. If you're concerned about them replace them.

    (But don't replace them with the ones you get at Lego Land.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Legos! Did they have lego scenes from movies?

    Glad you changed your tires. Hope it didn't cost to much. The tires aren't too expensive, but having a technician put them on sure it. I just paid 500 bucks to have new tires put on my shadow. It was 120 for the rear and 90 front, and the rest was labor. But I'm not going to complain if an expert put on my tires. I'd hate to die by having someone who didn't know squat try to put on my tires.

    Gregorious

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad about kids. Where's the 21 and up legoland for bikers? Jeesh.

    -F

    ReplyDelete