Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day 17: Tucson, AZ

Yesterday I took the Blue Bomber up to OTD Cycle Sports of Orange County, on a recommendation from Don at I-90 Motorsports who sold me the bike.  Even though it was expensive Nate and Johnny and the guys in the service department did a great job and ended up giving me a pretty good deal.  The new tires feel great, the new brakes brake fast.

Today I bid farewell to San Diego and headed east on Interstate 8.  Riding through the desert between San Diego and Yuma was quite an experience.  It was a devilish, crushing heat with no shade for miles and miles.  The only breeze came in even hotter waves washing up from the south.  It was intensely uncomfortable, yet somehow slightly pleasant, like spending too long in a sauna.  By the time I got to Yuma, the heat had pretty much lost all of its appeal.  I thought to myself 'So this is what I have to look forward to between now and New Orleans, where it will be nearly as hot, but soggy and damp...great.'  Past Yuma the heat subsided slightly, or I just got used to it, but the miles between Yuma and Gila Bend on I-8 were incredibly unpleasant.  The sun was relentless, the wind was brutal, and I was not looking forward to another 240 miles of dirt.  Once I got onto highway 85 going south the wind relented, and so did the sun when I drifted beneath the shadow of the clouds.

Several times today I thought I was headed straight into a thunderstorm, soon to be the victim of a flash flood or a washout.  My luck held though, and all the way to Tucson I felt only a few drops of rain, and never bore the brunt of a desert thunderstorm.  Highway 86 going east from Why (it's a town, aptly named) is a really fun road for the first few miles, winding its way through rocky hills, then steeply down into Dome Valley.  Eventually it straightened out, but still had enough dips and bumps to keep me awake, and it offered a view of the desert that I hadn't seen before.  Taking the smaller highways added an hour or two, but it was well worth it.  If nothing more, the possibility of seeing something new and different was a tremendous boost to my attitude.  I'm exhausted and filthy, but it was a good ride.

6 comments:

  1. The stuff that makes legends! Well done. I'm glad you riding and relating the story for us to experience vicariously. Because I hate riding in a blast furnace!

    Why people live in the most inhospitable climates I will never understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely ride up Mt Lemmon. It's a moral imparative on a bike. And conveniently close.

    Saguaro Nat'l Park (East or West), Gates Pass and Kinney road, Kitt Peak, Old Spanish Trail out to Colossal Cave are nice options too.

    A trip to Tombstone isn't too bad if you're in the mood for touring. For a serious ride you might look at things near the NM border. (HWY 191?) ...

    Maybe you need a guide. Hold on a minute while I get my bike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that description of horrible heat didn't make you just want to send a map and stay right here in the cool wet, TJ?

    I thought Unk Ron warned you about the heat during the day....would you cross that desert during the day again?

    And kiddo, the Gulf Coast is going to be waaaay worse than Arizona. Like riding in a steam storm.

    I'm very glad you made it safely to Tucson! It's going to be mid-70s over the weekend around here. Think about that as you roast and steam your way across the country!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess there's a tradeoff. Comfort vs. Visibililty. One has to ask oneself - What would the Dark Rider do. WWtDRD?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always ride the blue highways, that's where the real world is. You're traveling in the spiritual footsteps of many others before you-John Steinbeck and William Least Heat Moon come to mind-and I'm vicariously enjoying your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallo s'meee! Awesome to hear about your lovely trip as I'm stuck in the grind of a (maybe not so permanent) 9-5 and it's coming into Winter too. I am jealous. You are really doing it. Lots of love and jealousy from nz.

    ReplyDelete