Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 23: Tucson, AZ

The first two days I was in Tucson it pretty much never stopped raining.  It was incredibly unusual weather for this time of year, but that didn't make it any more appealing to ride around in.  But I was able to spend some time with my aunt & uncle, and my grandmother, and swim in the pool a few times.  Granny and Aunt Betty taught me how to play Mah Jongg, but I don't think I'm good enough yet to make any money in Chinatown.  It finally quit raining Friday, so we decided to go up to Uncle Ron's cabin on Mt. Lemmon for the weekend.  To be honest, I was a bit intimidated by it after all the stories I've heard of people driving into the ravines and careless motorcyclists decorating the cliff walls.  I got to the top without incident though, and spent a good portion of the following day driving down, then back up again, then back down and back up, etc.  The speed limit is 35 all the way up the mountain, but I think that's on account of all the pedestrians and bicyclists. I'm not entirely convinced there are more than half a dozen corners on that hill that couldn't be safely taken at 50 mph with a little bit of caution and some practice.  If it weren't for all the traffic it would make a beautiful road race course, although I have to admit that the views were a little bit distracting on more than one occasion.  I went up to the ski lodge, which I found amusing since I haven't seen any snow within about 1,500 miles of this place.  I rode a ski lift for the first time, thinking I'd get some good photos from the top of the mountain.  It's nice and cool up on the mountain, about 25 to 30 degrees cooler than in the city.  The Blue Bomber once again proved capable of handling rough terrain, although we're not about to win any supercross rallies.  It's been a really nice week here in Tucson.  Tomorrow I'm headed down the highway again, although I haven't quite decided which highway yet.  I've been reading old newspaper articles from The Tombstone Epitaph all weekend, and I might have to check it out...

5 comments:

  1. You seem to be making contradictoray statements. 35 mph speed limit...could do at 50 mph using caution and practice. Caution would suggest that you don't go over the posted speed limit and if your practice went wrong you'd be another decoration on the wall. Help me out, I don't see your logic.

    Sounds like a lovely ride though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I'm glad you're not dead/injured/sporting wyatt earp facial hair yet. Oh, sorry about the third one. Maybe you SHOULD head out to Tombstone.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a good time...I know Aunt Betty did enjoy having you around.

    I remember those views going up/down Mount Lemmon. They are distracting. And I remember the coolness up there too. It felt so good!

    Which road did you take? The road less traveled?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catalina Highway is a much nicer road since they repaved it. It used to be 8-9' lanes, no shoulders and alot more blind corners. Most of the ravine and cliff decorations probably occurred then.

    It used to be the place to go. Up and down a few times early in the morning. Then when the cars show up you go to the top for breakfast.

    ...

    Dammit! Why am I in Seattle?

    ReplyDelete
  5. One could use caution by practicing at lower speeds before running into a sharp corner at 50 mph. Besides which, I don't think caution refers only to speed. Execution of optimal entry and exit vectors, as well as proper lean angle and body position can be approached with either caution or disregard as well.

    ReplyDelete